Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Whirlwind Month Ends in a Win!

I've done over 60 school and library presentations since April 1st, so my head is spinning for sure. But what spun me round the most was having two of my books honored with yummy awards this past week.

On Thursday last week, while I was presenting to schoolkids in Amherst, Nova Scotia, the Silver Birch Awards were being handed out in front of more 700 screaming book lovers in Toronto. What's the Big Idea? received the Honour Award in the nonfiction category.

Then, on Saturday night, the Canadian Booksellers Association held their annual Awards dinner for their fave books of the year. And yippy yahoo, A Porcupine in A Pine Tree won the Picture Book of the Year Award!

Here are some pictures from that wonderful event for your viewing pleasure:

The Toronto children's book store, The Flying Dragon (woot!) won Specialty Retailer of the Year.


Vikki VanSickle, bookseller and #Torkidlit Author, won the award for Young Bookseller of the Year!

Here she is, looking gorgeous accepting her award.

Here we are accepting our award from Eleanor of Mables Fables Bookstore.


I know everyone expects me to blabber on whenever they hand me a mike, but I surprised everyone by letting Werner take center stage and say our thank yous.


See how adoring I look??


                                              Of course I couldn't leave the stage without saying something......

Here, with my hubby Karl and Diane Kerner, Publisher at Scholastic Canada.

And here with Susan Chamberlain, owner of Sarnia's fabulous The Bookkeeper, which won the Bookseller of the Year Award. Susan and I go waaaaaay back, to our days working at McClelland & Stewart. Don't ask how long ago that was.


This is my favorite shot of all. Yes, we were pretty chuffed. :)


2 comments:

  1. I just saw this post now! You are too cute. Thanks for recording the evening so nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Because: Science!