Friday, June 4, 2010

I'm kvelling. And blowing my big fat horn too.

You remember when Sally Fields accepted her oscar saying, "They like me! They really like me?"

I heard her loud and clear.

Many of us find it hard to believe that other people think we are ok. Good even. Forget about terrific.

I admit it - that's me. Which is why I'm a praise junkie. That's why I work so hard, trying to create something people will like enough to say, "Good on ya, girl!" Flatter me, and it will get you everywhere.

So when a little bit of praise came my self-doubting way, this morning, it was like the gates of heaven had opened up. Gladness, nay, euphoria, shone down upon little ol' me. For a few translucent moments, I felt worthy.

But then my kids kicked me to the curb ("right, mom, we know, they like you, they really like you" --they've heard this spiel before), and I returned to my normal self - obsessively-compulsively typing away, trying to keep from disappearing into my comfy, familiar pit of self-criticism.

So forgive my shamelessness in sharing with you the source of my ephemeral joy: a glowing reference letter from a satisfied customer at Niagara District School Board.  I presented the keynote speech at their Silver Birch festivities (see my earlier blogpost on the subject) last month.

Miracle of Miracles. They liked me! They really liked me!

Yippy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because: Science!